“Those that oppose themselves”
2 Tim. 2:25
What does that mean? In sports you compete against the opponent, and they are the opposition. So this passage says that there are people that oppose themselves. More times that you may think, you are your biggest problem.
How do you make sure that you are not opposing yourself?
- Verse 15 Study God’s Words
- To shew thyself approved unto God – It pleases God
- A workman that needeth not be ashamed- It takes work
- Rightly dividing the word of truth- So you will know why you believe
- Verse 16 Shun profane and vain babblings – False doctrine(v 17-18)
New age doctrines etc. Even in Paul’s time (2 Cor.2:17)
- Verse 19 Depart from iniquity
- Isa. 59:1-2 – it will separate you from God
- Jonah 2:8 – you will forsake your own mercy
- Verse 22 Flee youthful lust
- Fame – popularity
- Fortune – possessions
- Fun – premarital sex
- Verse 22 Follow ( infers being led by someone)
- Righteousness – Jesus Christ, because your righteousness is filthy, Isa. 64:6
- Faith – walk by (2 Cor.5:7) live by (Rom.1:17)
- Charity – I Cor.13:13- 14:1
- Peace – Phil. 4:7 will come with correct decisions
- With them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart – with other believers- same heart – Prov.13:20 – want to be wise?
- Verse 23 Avoid foolish and unlearned questions, they gender strife
- Can God make a rock so big he can’t move it?
- What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?
- How could Mary given birth to a sinless man, unless she was sinless herself?
- Verse 24 no strife, be gentle unto all men
- Apt to teach – teach instead of argue
- Patient – Give the Holy Spirit time to work things out
- In meekness instructing – instructing with authority and power while under control.