Spiritual Gifts Lesson 1
Identifying and Introduction
There are 3 main places from which we can see the spiritual gifts that are given in the New Testament. These are Romans 12:6-8, 1 Corinthians 12:4-11,28 and Ephesians 4:11.
These gifts are complied with in a handout entitled List of Spiritual Gifts that is given out with this lesson. In this list all the gifts found in the above passages are listed and then they are broken up into categories for studying.
Before we begin to look at the spiritual gifts it is important that you make the distinction between the Gift of the Holy Spirit and the Gifts of the Spirit.
- The Gift of the Holy Spirit is the fact that the Holy Spirit is given to us the moment we get saved. (John 14:16-26)
- The Gifts of the Spirit are given to a person by the Holy Spirit on an individual basis for the work of God.
Some facts concerning the gifts of the Holy Spirit :
1) Each saved person has at least one spiritual gift (1 Corinthians 12:7,11)
- Note in both of these verses the spirit is said give gifts to every man.
2) No saved person will have all the spiritual gifts (1 Corinthians 12:29,30 ; Romans 12:5,6)
- Some may have more than others, but no one gets them all.
3) Every gift is necessary (1 Corinthians 12:14-16 ; Romans 12:3-6)
- Just because you have a different gift than someone else doesn’t mean that you gift is unnecessary or that you are not important.
4) Having a spiritual gift doesn’t make you spiritual (1 Corinthians 1:7,11 and 3:1-4)
- The references given here are for the church at Corinth. They had the spiritual gifts and are still said to be carnal.
The Purpose of Spiritual Gifts :
In 1 Corinthians 12:7 the word of God says, “But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.” The body of Christ is spoken of in both Romans 12 and in
1 Corinthians 12. Therefore one of the key reasons that that gifts are given is to profit the body of Christ.
This makes even more sense when we look at Ephesians 4:11-16. The threefold reason for the giving of the gifts in verse 11 is as follows;
1) Perfecting of the Saints 2) Work of the Ministry 3) Edifying of the body of Chirst
There we see the body of Christ mentioned again. The spiritual gifts enable us to do a work for the Lord that not only pleases him which is our purpose (Revelation 4:11), but it also to build up the body of Christ which is what edifying means.
The purpose of this study is to help someone identify just what the spiritual gifts are and also help them identify which one or ones that they may have so that they can effectively serve God in a way that pleases him and edifies the body of Christ.
Spiritual Gifts Lesson 1 : Handout
Indentifying and Introduction
1) How many gifts do we see total?
2) What are the gifts classified as people?
3) Which gifts are listed a sign gifts?
4) What is the first distinction that must be made before discussing the spiritual gifts?
5) List four facts concerning spiritual gifts from the word of God.
6) What is the purpose of these spiritual gifts?